Top 3 Electric Vehicles to Buy in the US
For more than a decade, electric vehicles (EVs) have been steadily growing to become a popular choice for new car buyers. The result is a new selection of electric vehicles offered by various top car brands. These electric vehicle choices are designed for people tired of paying a lot for fuel to power their vehicles as well as people looking for style, comfort, safety, and reliability.
Searching for an electric vehicles has it differences from the traditional vehicles. For instance, you need to consider the vehicle’s battery and software as well as mileage. However, like traditional gas-powered vehicles, you must still consider such factors as comfort, affordability, design, seating capacity, and safety features.
Before checking out the top 3 electric vehicles, here are some tips on what to look for in a quality electric vehicle:
1. An Electric Vehicle that Fits your Needs: Because there are different types of Evs on the market today, you should determine your driving needs. Factors to consider include: charging equipment. distance ranges, frequency of use, cargo and seating capacities, and price ranges. EVs with ranges up to 100 miles or less are more available and affordable.
2. Reliability: EVs are known to be reliable because they have less moving parts than the traditional gas powered engine and power components. However, make sure you check the electric vehicles that are known to have problem histories.
3. Electric Vehicle Batteries: Batteries for electric vehicles are known for relatively high power-to-weight ratio, and specific energy and energy density. Smaller, lighter batteries are desirable because they reduce the weight of the vehicle and therefore improve its performance. Electric car batteries are different from SLI batteries (starting, lightning and ignition). SLI batteries are batteries that are usually installed in gasoline or diesel cars. This type of electric cars battery is designed as an energy storage system, capable of delivering power for long and sustainable periods. 5 types of electric vehicle batteries include: Lithium-Ion (Li-On), Nickel-Metal Hybrid (NiMH), Lead Acid (SLA),Ultracapacitor, and ZEBRA (Zero Emissions Batteries Research Activity)
4. Battery Warranty: Electric cars have the longest battery warranty: Tesla Model S and Model X: 8 years, 150,000 miles. Hyundai: 8 years, 125,000 miles. Tesla Model 3 and Model Y except RWD: 8 years, 120,000 miles and Fisker: 10 years, 100,000 miles, 75% capacity.
5. EV Thermal Management Systems: EVs are affected by weather and temperature change. For instance, they lose range in subzero conditions. For cold climates, there are EVs that have thermal management systems with liquid heating/cooling tech which conditions and keeps the battery at an optimum temperature.
6. Charging infrastructure: Consider the cost of a home charging station, taking into account the any government subsidies offered. It will make driving your EV much easier and more convenient
Top 3 Electric Vehicles to Buy in the US
Vehicle review magazines (online and offline) will test a specific number of electric vehicles and rate them using such factors as interior space, efficiency, safety, technology, power, and value. For example: Edmunds' real-world range test measures the distance an electric vehicle can travel on a full charge. MotorTrend does a test of 200 vehicles. Below is a list of the top 3 electric vehicles to buy in the US:
1. 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Expert rating (summary):Introduced in 2017, The Chevrolet Bolt boasts quick acceleration at a very approachable price.
MSRP $31,000 - $34,200
- Engine Type Electric
- Transmission 1-speed direct drive
- Drive Type Front wheel drive
- Total Seating 5
- Basic Warranty 3 yr./ 36,000 mi.
- EPA electricity range 259 mi.
- EPA time to charge battery (at 240V) 7.5 hr.
- Horsepower 200 hp @ 0 rpm
- Torque 266 lb-ft @ 0 rpm
2. 2022 Nissan LEAF
Expert Rating (Summary): Redesigned in 2018, the Nissan LEAF is a cost-effective Evs, as well as having a host of standard advance driving features.
MSRP $27,400 - $37,400
- Power: permanent-magnet synchronous AC motor, 215 hp, 251 lb-ft; 62.0-kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
- 1-speed direct-drive.
- Dimensions. Wheelbase: 106.3 in. Length: 176.4 in. Width: 70.5 in. Height: 61.4 in.
- Passenger volume: 93 cu ft.
- Cargo volume: 24 cu ft. Curb weight: 3831 lb.
Key safety features include:
- Standard automated emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Standard blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
- Available adaptive cruise control with semi-autonomous driving mode
Nissan says both the standard Leaf's battery and the larger one in the Leaf Plus can be replenished in seven hours. A DC fast-charging connection is standard on all trims. The standard Leaf models all come with a 40.0-kWh battery which provides a relatively limited range of 149 miles.
3. Tesla Model 3
Expert Rating: Introduced in 2017, Tesla Model 3 rises above the class in almost every area. It's fun to drive, practical and stylish.
MSRP $46,990 - $62,990
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/11.5 kW Onboard Charger, 10 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V and 82
- kWh Capacity
- Engine Type and Required Fuel – Electric
- EPA Fuel Economy Equivalent (for hybrid and electric vehicles), combined/city/highway (MPGe):131 / 134 / 126
- Trunk Space (cubic feet) 19.8
- Steering Type Rack-Pinion
- Turning Diameter / Radius, curb to curb (feet) 38.8
- Front Suspension Type Double Wishbone
- Rear Suspension Type Multi-Link
- Brake Type 4-Wheel Disc
- Anti-Lock-Braking System 4-Wheel
Other leading electric vehicles include:
- 2021 MINI Hardtop 2 Door
- 2022 Kia Niro EV
- 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric
- All-wheel-drive electric SUVs – 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2022 Kia EV6
- All-wheel-drive electric trucks – 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning, Ford Lightning Platinum, 2022 The Polestar 2
- Luxury all-wheel-drive electric SUVs – 2022 BMW iX, 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range, 2022 Tesla
- Model X
- Luxury all-wheel-drive electric trucks – 2022 Rivian R1T
It is important to note luxury electric cars tend to cost much more than the mainstream models, but you get more, such as fast-car acceleration and the latest interior technology.
What would you like to do next?
Low Rate Financing
Easy Application. Fast Approval.
Competitive Low Rates.